SILVER TANKARD “COMMODORE CUP” TROPHY FROM DOVER. ENGLISH IMPORT, CIRCA 1900.

Antiques -
Reference: ZF0349

Tankard, Dover Commodore Cup trophy. Silver. Possibly Germany and import to England, late 19th century.
With contrast marks.
Container with a handle and a hinged lid with a cylindrical body known as a "tankard" that has an abundant and delicate decoration on the outside. The circular and openwork legs have plant elements. The body of the piece shows a strip with teardrop shapes facing each other with symmetrical plant motifs; another much wider with a figurative theme (half-naked male figures hunting a wild boar with the help of dogs, an archer pointing at a fleeing deer, another deer harassed by dogs, two female figures appear, trees, etc.); and a finer one with a vegetal composition and an inscription divided into three areas ("RCPYC / Vc COMMODORES CUP", "WON BY / BRYNHILD", "DOVER / JULY 20 1900"); each of the areas is separated with a fine relief cord. The cover features an elaborate decoration of figures on a band with facing teardrop shapes: birds with their wings spread out on scrolls and plant shapes, a hunting Diana accompanied by a dog, and a lion and a smooth shield with plant elements in the area of the hinge. The handle has a vegetal composition flanked by laces in the front and smooth mirrors framed by smooth moldings on the sides, in addition to vegetal elements at the end of it.
The contrast marks indicate that it is, surely, a piece imported from England (letter F) in .925 sterling silver (lion) made or brought before 1900 (letter A would indicate the year 1896) and related to the city of london (leopard without crown). The remaining punch could refer to Berthold Muller, whose trademark was registered in 1897 and is usually seen on English imported pieces. It is possible to find similar pieces in some private collection that, without being trophies, show Neresheimer punches, in Hanau (Germany) and in the late 19th century.
The Dover Regatta has been held since 1826, organized by the community for the community and with several other organizations involved in it. On May 6, 1872, a Royal Order gave permission to form the Royal Cinque Ports Yacht Club (RCPYC) in Dover, conducting its first race on June 19, 1875 and with a strong relationship with members of the English Royal Family since the Initially (Prince Arthur, later Duke of Connaught, was the first "Commodore"; the Prince of Wales, later King Edward VII, often participated in the early days; Queen Victoria frequently gave trophies, etc.). The RCPYC would participate in the Dover Regatta on a regular basis towards the end of the 19th century, a time when this race already attracted thousands of visitors (national and foreign) and in which English, French, Belgian, etc. boats participated. The yacht built by Camper and Nicholson in 1898, designed by Charles E. Nicholson, was commissioned by Major Selwin Calvery and baptized Brynhild, participating in numerous races around the beginning of the 20th century (he won the King's Cup in 1902 ...); after navigating under the name Changrilla and a series of changes and restorations, it currently continues to operate under the name "Black Swan", mainly in the Mediterranean. Weight: 2875 gr."


· Size: 26x24x49 cms

Sold Item


For pricing applies for registration here.

If you are already registered, log into your account here.


Related Articles